[plug] ADSL - was: *NOTHING*

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Tue May 6 09:16:26 WST 2003

Nah
Westnet give out the Dlink DSL-300a, they have a built in PPPoE which
uses DHCP to give out its IP Address. You could connect it to any
Ethernet/DHCP-cLient capable machine right out of the box with minimal
configuration.
To be honest it's much easier to let the dedicated modem do it but we
don't here. At home i have alcatel speed touch home which is not capable
of PPPoE (unless you do the firmware hack to upgrade it to pro) so I
will be using RP-PPPoE, besides I have two networks at home (wireless
and ethernet) so my crappy old broken screened laptop will be running
PPPoE to serve the wireless and ethernet networks.
Thats one of the coolest things about Linux is recycling old junk and
then using it for a purpose that would (if you were a business) cost a
lot.