[plug] Linux & Hardware

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue May 6 17:05:16 WST 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, James Elliott wrote:

> Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 10:24:47 +0800
> From: James Elliott <James.Elliott at wn.com.au>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: [plug] Linux & Hardware
>
> Does anyone know a good Internet site to go to learn more about how hardware
> works?  I think one could better understand the structure and function of
> Linux if one had a better idea of what goes on when Linux commands are
> reduced to "0"s and "1"s and sent to the CPU, or to memory, or elsewhere on
> the mainboard or EIDE devices.
>
> It seems to me that there are experts on differing software bundles;  on
> various operating systems; and I guess electronic engineers know about
> chips, transistors, resistors, capacitors and things like that, if not the
> software that runs on them; but there does not  seem to be a book or course
> or Internet site that I have been able to find that covers both hardware and
> software and how they interact with each other.
>
> James Elliott

Have you looked at the book "PC Architecture & Assembly Language"?
Whilst it is DOS and Windows based, it gives a fairly good insight into
the interaction between the one's and zero's and the hardware.

Also, possibly the "Peter Norton's PC Programmer's Bible", may be
useful.

The Waite Group's C Bible also includes some good information about what
the hardware does with the instructions.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."