[plug] Super-Shiny minimalist desktop environment

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Thu May 8 14:11:17 WST 2003

I'm looking for some way to provide a simple bunch of buttons to launch apps,
which all fire up full-screen. It's semi-kiosk style, so the apps will be
limited, and only one visible at a time, but I'd also like it to be really
shiny. Oh, and useable without a mouse (for the launch app at least).

I'm currently thinking along the lines of the Ratpoison window manager
(http://ratpoison.sourceforge.net/), but I'd like the launch menu app to be
simple, bright, colourful, and non-rectangular - like some of the recent
KDE/Karamba Tux bars & such, but not limited to a long rectangle - can use
the whole damn screen here.

Heck, really swanky, would be a GL-based 3D selector, where the selection of
icons spin to the currently hilighted one, with a blurb on what each option
is underneath, or similar.

Any suggestions?

My other idea was to just bolt an "Applications" launcher submenu onto Freevo.
^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |