[plug] [OT] Mainboard screw sleeves

Milan Pospisil Milan.Pospisil at swantafe.wa.edu.au
Thu May 8 14:33:30 WST 2003

Hi Craig;
             What I ment by 'sitting' at the same electrical potential was the actual electrical reference point of the mainboard (the "ground") being connected to the same "ground" level as is the source which feeds it,ie the power supply. Disconnect that path (by removing the metalic sleeves or otherwise) and your equipment starts 'floating' and quite likely doing all kinds of weird things. That on its own does not mean that it will die completely for there might be some return path remaining  due to the minus, zero, plus split level system.
 If however the underside of the board ie. the pins of the components start touching the metalic case ie.the ground - well, that is a short circuit with all it's consequences. Thanks for mentionig that; I guess I should have expressed myself more clearly right from the beginning.
                 Regards
                              Milan Pospisil