[plug] Toshiba Tecra S1

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri May 9 12:50:54 WST 2003

  > It does have an ATI Radeon 9000 graphics chip, which seems to be well
> supported by XFree86 and by ATI.

Be aware that the mobile versions of such chips are usually a very
different thing, and often either not supported at all by the main
drivers for the chipset, or poorly supported. I believe, for example,
that NVidia has /separate/ drivers for their mobile chips.

>  However, experiences from long ago
> when Toshiba laptops always seemed to have slightly strange hardware
> have made me wary.

Laptops always do, especially big OEM laptops that display this everywhere:

Toshiba PCs use genuine Microsoft® Windows®
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/default.asp?oemid=4500

That said, I have pretty good results with my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
('till it died last week - batt controller problem, + bad sectors on HDD
- hopefully repairable). The modem doesn't work, of course - *sigh* -
and the graphics chipset (Trident CyberBlade XP) was problematic until
XF86 4.3, but otherwise it works very well.

Be aware that toshiba machines generally have a crap BIOS, and expect
you to do any real hardware config in the version of 'doze they provide,
via a control panel. That's the way it is in mine, anyway. As a result,
unless you're dual booting, you may be unable to do things like turn off
the "lid closed with laptop on" alarm, which needless to say is
infuriating if you use it for an MP3 player while travelling. I had to
dual boot anyway so I had 'net access on the road.

Toshiba seem to make excellent machines, and I'm very impressed that
they seem to have standard batteries across a number of models (and very
reasonably priced ones at that, ~$120) plus the laptops are reliable and
relatively free from braindead design. At least, mine is. My only
complaint is the lid, they've left some space between the lid and body
of the laptop when closed, causing the lid to be distorted easily in a
bag. It doesn't seem to mind though.

> This (enormous) url is for the specs for that laptop.
>
>   http://www.isd.toshiba.com.au/cgi-bin/ai1.exe/topic/public/products/search_summary.jsp?fullPathName=%2fFG%2fNOTEBOOK%2fTecra&notAcesry=true&sessionType=

umm.... which one? There are 3 laptops there, none of which are listed
as the "S1".