[plug] server specs vs latency (was: Mandrake 9.1)

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Fri May 9 14:31:54 WST 2003

Simon Scott wrote:

>>I have a 486SX/25 laptop with 8MB of RAM that runs as my router connected
>>to the WaFreeNet (www.wafreenet.org)
>>

>Hmmm... Maybe I should review the article.
>
>My RH 7.2 based server was a P100 with 32M, and if 2 of us connected to an
>internet Tacops server our pings would jump from 100msec to well over 4000.
>Swapped the HDs into a PII-400, and it has no problems whatsoever.
>
>The article has latency graphs which show the latency rises exponentially once
>you get below a p200. Maybe the guy was on acid.
>
>Its only a vague memory, if I find the article Ill let you all know.

Is this becoming a 'mine is smaller than yours' comparison?  ;-)

My 486 dx2 66 with 24mb ram & rh 8.0 does a sterling job as a firewall.
Getting a bit harder to install with the spare hdd space needs of the rh
installer but a bit of nip & tuck during the (text based only) install
and all is well.

 The only thing I can see which will (might?) move my firewall off my
486 is user mode linux.  Time will tell.

Tim Bowden