[plug] server specs vs latency (was: Mandrake 9.1)

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Fri May 9 13:24:34 WST 2003

> I have a 486SX/25 laptop with 8MB of RAM that runs as my router connected
> to the WaFreeNet (www.wafreenet.org)

Hmmm... Maybe I should review the article.

My RH 7.2 based server was a P100 with 32M, and if 2 of us connected to an
internet Tacops server our pings would jump from 100msec to well over 4000.
Swapped the HDs into a PII-400, and it has no problems whatsoever.

The article has latency graphs which show the latency rises exponentially once
you get below a p200. Maybe the guy was on acid.

Its only a vague memory, if I find the article Ill let you all know.