Capabilities of older hardware (was Re: [plug] Mandrake 9.1)

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Fri May 9 15:36:19 WST 2003

My setup is similar:
Old  Laptop with a broken screen, Fanless, very, very quiet sits on my
phone books in the cupboard.
P120 48 MB RAM
PCMCIA Wireless Card and 10 NIC
512/128 PPPoE
Actually old Laptops are very handy.
Cheap Wireless cards, sort of built-in UPS(battery). Got my modem hooked
up to it and one day I'll get around to making it into answering machine
as well.
All running Vanilla Debian Woody.

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 14:20, Andrew Furey wrote:
    > > Mine at home is a P166 (with 128mb of RAM!!) and
    > it struggles pretty
    > > badly. Of course, its running Xvnc for 'doze users
    > to monitor its
    > > traffic levels, link status, etc, plus it has
    > complex iptables rules and
    > > is using HTB QoS... and to top it all off, its
    > running bind9 for our
    > > LAN's DNS and runs samba. Most of the CPU time
    > seems to be munched by
    > > PPPoEd, PPPd and the kernel (firewalling, QoS,
    > etc) though.

    /me takes stock...

    P100, 32Mb RAM, 64Mb swap, 30Gb + 60Gb hard disks,
    512/128 ADSL, 3 network cards (ADSL, LAN, wireless
    AP), 30Gb software RAID1 array.

    bind (local domain + caching), DHCP server, samba,
    distributed.net client (doesn't quite count I
    suppose), PPPoE, apache, ipac providing traffic stats
    with a home-grown web interface, other iptables
    filtering.

    All perfectly doable :)  Although I don't run a local
    proxy because I don't think it would handle it (squid
    eats RAM for lunch I gather).

    Andrew

    =====
    Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
    reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
    Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
    enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                              -- Bill Garrett

Scott Middleton
Linux Information Technology
www.linuxit.com.au