Capabilities of older hardware (was Re: [plug] Mandrake 9.1)

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 14:20:02 WST 2003

> > Mine at home is a P166 (with 128mb of RAM!!) and
> it struggles pretty
> > badly. Of course, its running Xvnc for 'doze users
> to monitor its
> > traffic levels, link status, etc, plus it has
> complex iptables rules and
> > is using HTB QoS... and to top it all off, its
> running bind9 for our
> > LAN's DNS and runs samba. Most of the CPU time
> seems to be munched by
> > PPPoEd, PPPd and the kernel (firewalling, QoS,
> etc) though.

/me takes stock...

P100, 32Mb RAM, 64Mb swap, 30Gb + 60Gb hard disks,
512/128 ADSL, 3 network cards (ADSL, LAN, wireless
AP), 30Gb software RAID1 array.

bind (local domain + caching), DHCP server, samba,
distributed.net client (doesn't quite count I
suppose), PPPoE, apache, ipac providing traffic stats
with a home-grown web interface, other iptables
filtering.

All perfectly doable :)  Although I don't run a local
proxy because I don't think it would handle it (squid
eats RAM for lunch I gather).

Andrew

=====
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                          -- Bill Garrett