[plug] Mandrake 9.1

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Mon May 12 09:45:03 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 12/05/2003 09:38 AM
-----

                      Tim Bowden
                      <bowden at iinet.net        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      .au>                     cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [plug] Mandrake 9.1
                      09/05/2003 05:57
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

Richard Meyer wrote:

<<snipped>>

>>This is amazing. It's when I install RH, that I get whinges about
>>misaligned partitions, and unable to install LILO because the partition
>>isn't on a cylinder boundary, etc. SuSE and Mandrake (and Windows FWIW)
>>just install where I tell them. As I result I tend to think of RH as
being
>>unnecessarily fussy.
>>
>I have always created new partitions during an install or used
>partitions created by fdisk or disk druid during a previous install
>which if memory serves me correctly does like cylinder boundaries.  Is
>this not a good thing?

That's exactly what I used. It was a new machine to be dual-booted (well
triple-booted) Win98/SuSE/RH. I brought up SuSE, and ALT-f2-ed to get a
console, from which I ran fdisk, and created the Windows partitions
(otherwise Windows just assumes that it can take the whole disk). Windows,
SuSE, Mandrake all installed fine - except RH claims that the partitions
are misaligned, and won't run lilo. The way round that was to put the RH
startup stuff in the Mandrake or SuSE lilo.conf and run it from there.

>>Haven't tried the text based install.
>>
>Has anyone tried the mandrake text install?  Does it have one?

I assume it does, I'll have to fire up a CD and see.

>Tim Bowden

RichardM