[plug] RH 9 instal problems

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Mon May 12 17:12:20 WST 2003

Simon Scott wrote:

>>It is unfortunate that RH Linux appears to have lost the principle of
>>being able to run on older hardware.
>>

>I would propose that something with 64M is 'older' hardware ;)
>
>I seem to recall reading that the text mode installation programs are no
>longer maintained (or at least, sporadically) and remain as something of an
>historical curiosity. Dunno why theyd remove the network component tho - maybe
>it didnt detect your card properly and so didnt bother?

I have managed to put rh 8 on my 486 with 24mb ram (text mode install).
 It has never detected my isa based network card but if it is passed as
an option during install it will configure it.  I like the text based
install.  I hope they don't completely get rid of it.  I was going to
try rh 9 on the 486 next time I got a chance so I will let you know how
it goes when I get around to it.  To be honest I am more than happy with
8.0 but I'd like to try 9 on such a small pc just out of curiosity.

Regards,
Tim Bowden