sharing e-mail addresses (was Re: [plug] Prevent downloads)

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Tue May 13 18:56:23 WST 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:

>> Now that multimple mail boxes with an isp are so cheap the best bet
>> is probably something like bob_abc at isp.com, alice_abc at isp.com and so on.
>

> Urrggh, stuff that. Its usually /very/ easy to arrange
> <anybody>@companyname.com
> if you have a half-decent 'net connection (ie DSL with static IP, on
> up). That way you can have the option of local mailhosting and
> avoiding your ISP's dodgy mail servers. I don't need to name any
> names, there are too many of them :-(
>
> Craig

IMHO it is a reasonable solution for a very small business that
a) only has a dialup connection- running a mailserver over dialup is
prone to problems particularly if you are sending/ receiving large
attachments.  Just wait to see what happens when the mailq grows...[1]
b) Doesn't wan't the added expense of a domain name which can be
significant to a very small business on a tight cashflow.
c) Doesn't have the skill, interest or time to investigate domain
registration- common to small business.

[1]  Dialup is rapidly becoming uneconomical for all but the most casual
of users or those in a poor service area

Another 2c

Tim Bowden