[plug] OO.o - fixing default font SYSTEM WIDE

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed May 14 16:32:30 WST 2003

Hi folks

I'm hoping someone on [PLUG] has encountered this problem, because the
OO.o users list traffic is pretty overpowering.

I'm trying to force OO.o to chose a sensible font (Why does it pick a
font it didn't come with and doesn't exist on the system, anyway?!?) for
its interface. That's easy for one user, simply use the font substition
dialog or modify
~/OpenOffice.org/user/config/registry/instance/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xml

What I need to do is ensure that all new "workstation" OO.o instances
get this setting. If I copy the changes needed for ~/......./Common.xml
/usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/share/config/registry/instance/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xml
it correctly enables font substition by default and creates a new line
in the dialog, but the font names don't show up and no substitution
ocurrrs. If I make said change to
/usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/user/config/registry/instance/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xml
instead, it makes no difference at all to a new OO.o instance.

So... how do I get the damnn thing to accept a system-wide configuration
change? I thought Mozilla was hard to force system-wide changes onto,
but this is something else entirely. I have the feeling it could be very
powerful and flexible ... and even easy ... if it was DOCUMENTED AT ALL.
If there's documentation, I can't find it with google's help.

Anybody encountered this before? Found a fix?

Craig