[plug] Probably somewhat significant...

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Thu May 15 11:46:34 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 15/05/2003 11:42 AM
-----

                      Craig Ringer
                      <craig at postnewspap        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      ers.com.au>               cc:
                                                Subject:  [plug] Probably somewhat significant...
                      15/05/2003 10:42
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

http://www.sco.com/scosource/letter_to_linux_customers.html

>The bastards are probably blowing hot air - "that looks /a bit/ like
>something we have, THEY MUST'VE STOLEN IT!!" - but that doesn't change
>the real damage they're doing to people's confidence. Of course, they
>just shot their own business's head off, but after they're gone people
>will still be thinking "what if...".

Yep, did you notice the subtly worded bit where they said that the end-user
couls also be held responsible if they are using "misappropriated" code.
They may or may not win, but Linux may lose big time in business. Wonder
whether a certain Redmond, Washington based company set them up to it?

>*sigh*.

>I can tell you from personal experience that SCO never could make a
>proper OS anyway. We run OpenServer 5.0.5 and it /sucks/.

Well, they've even stopped their own Linux developments pending
clarification. Probably couldn't afford to carry on anyway.

RichardM