[plug] trouble with searching for non-ascii characters in a text file

David Buddrige buddrige at wasp.net.au
Fri May 16 13:03:48 WST 2003

Hi all,

I have some html files that contain odd [non-ascii] characters here and
there.  The web-browser displays them as "?" in the html page.  My text
editor uses another character to represent that particular character.  I
want to find out how to determine what exact hexadecimal value that
character evaluates to, and then how to grep on that hex-value - rather than
its ascii equivilent.  is this possible?

thanks

David.