[plug] Microsost Lisencing Unix from SCO?!

Peter Weatherall weatherd at netvtise.com.au
Tue May 20 08:32:04 WST 2003

mark wrote:

> [...]
Craig 's interpretation seems closser to what you can deduce from that
article . The crucial paragraph is
"Late Sunday, Microsoft general counsel Brad Smith said acquiring the
license from SCO "is representative of Microsoft's ongoing commitment to
respecting intellectual property and the IT community's healthy exchange
of IP through licensing. This helps to ensure IP compliance across
Microsoft solutions and supports our efforts around existing products
like services for Unix that further Unix interoperability."
Note that he is talking about  Microsoft Windows - Unix interoperability
tools
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp
Microsoft advertise the following which is probably what SCO are
claiming are their IP.
*Source code for SFU 3.0/Interix Utilities*
CD containing the source code for the SFU 3.0 base utilities: diff,
sdiff, bc, dc, cpio, gzip, gunzip, gawk, patch, csplit, nl, strings,
rpm, and SDK utilities/libraries ld.so, gcc, gdb, g++, g77, gasp,
objcopy, ld, as, ar, nm, size, strip, ci, co, diff3 rcs, rlog, and ident.

Regards