[plug] iptables rules

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue May 20 16:19:59 WST 2003

Have done this already.

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> craig at postnewspapers.com.au 3:42:16 PM 20/05/2003 >>>
>>>I want to stop the following ports from being listed
>

> (a) If you are running public services on an unfirewalled machine but
>     don't want them to the public: reconfigure your daemons to stop
>     making their services public.

Its generally a good idea to use firewalling rules to add another layer
of security in this case, though. After all, if you (say) upgrade apache
and a package script "fixes" your httpd.conf for the new version, its
nice to have another layer of protection.

I tend to restrict the interfaces daemons bind on, if possible, then
restrict the IP ranges they'll talk to via their own config and/or
hosts.{allow,deny}, and have a firewall ruleset that only allows
specific services to be visible to the outside world. That way, if I
stuff something up, I'm likely to get a chance to catch it.

I do, of course, stuff it up.

> (b) If you are running public services but wish to restrict them
>     to only "friendly" hosts: configure your packet filter
>     to issue 'connection refused' to any non-friendly hosts
>     (solves Ben's problem).

Ideally also reconfigure the daemon or hosts.allow/deny to restrict the
IP range, as an additional layer of paranoia.

Craig