[plug] Any config experts out there who can help?

mark nicholls.m at lineone.net
Wed May 21 05:56:54 WST 2003

As per my last mailing, I am in the middle of setting up a alcatel usb modem, from the url info, kindly given by Onno.

I have followed the steps:

in /etc/ I have the two files modules.conf:

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci ehci-hcd
above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1

alias char-major-108 ppp_generic
alias /dev/ppp ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-13 n_hdlc
alias tty-ldisc-14 ppp_synctty
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate

also speedtouch.conf:

and speedtouch.conf:

# Example Speedtouch config file
#
# This file should live in /etc (or possibly in /local/etc) and is included
# by the SysV init script to find some information about your various interfaces

#USB Interface information. Dependent on your USB hardware should be one of
#usb-uhci, uhci or usb-ohci
DEFAULT_USBINTERFACE=usb-uhci

#Path to microcode - this should point to the mgmt.o or alcudsl.sys
#from the official Alcatel drivers.
MICROCODE=/usr/local/lib/mgmt.o

#Set this to 1 if you have configured the script
CONFIGURED=1

(all paths correct)

in /etc/ppp/  I have the files chap-secrets & pap-secrets (passwords ? marked out)

# Authenticatie via PAP
# login - server - pass - IP
memory1 at tiscali.co.uk*????????*

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client server secret   IP addresses
memory1 at tiscali.co.uk*????????*

and in /etc/ppp/peers/  I have the file adsl.?

debug
kdebug 1
noipdefault
pty "/usr/local/sbin/pppoa3 -m 1 -c -vpi 0 -vci 38 -e 1"
nodetach
sync
nodetach
user "memory1 at tiscali.co.uk"
kdebug 7
noaccomp
nopcomp
#nomagic
noccp
#passive
#icp-echo-interval 5
#icp-echo-failure 30
#persist

>From the shell in su, I start the daemon with start-adsl and get the following:

sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x?? <auth chap MD5>]
rcvd [LCP Confreq id=0x?? <auth chap MD5><magic 0xd????????>]

Which scrolls for a while then :

rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x??]
sent [LCP TermAck id=0x??]

Then carries on with the above sent rcvd [LCP etc. etc.]
(where ?? is a set of  numbers or letters, hex I assume, all are sequentional in each scroll)

All this happens in a continous loop?  I know my ISP uses pap as opposed to chap for authentication purposes.  I also know the vpi & vci no's are correct.

Has anyone come across this before as it has me totally baffled, the man pages and google/linux has shed no light on the prob.

All or any help deeply appreciated.

The distro I am using is mandrake 9.1

Ta

Mark