[plug] What does public opion feel about Riser FS?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed May 21 16:32:40 WST 2003

> Yeah, me too. It's been around a lot longer than ext3, so I'm not sure about
> the maturity argument. It sits well on top of LVM, and allows on the fly
> resizing (shrinking partitions is still considered beta AFAIK, but it's never
> failed for me). I like it.

Ditto, essentially. I've been using reiserfs since I managed to bash
2.4.0 onto my Debian Potato box, and have been endlessly annoyed at Red
Hat for making it such a PITA to use with their distro. Especially now
that I have to admin a big RH8 box at work.

For those interested, http://www.namesys.com/ has some interesting
reading, especially the future plans for reiser4 and reiser5:
http://www.namesys.com/v4/v4.html

*drool* proper queriable FS capable of file introspection *drool*
Just think - you could "echo 'bob' > bob/track.mp3/artist"... or maybe
be able to query for files of type audio/mpeg with attribute artist=bob
- and do so efficiently. My impression is thats the sort of thing Reiser
is talking about for the later ReiserFS versions....

As it is, reiser3 is a rather nice FS.

Craig Ringer