[plug] What does public opion feel about Riser FS?

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed May 21 22:26:19 WST 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 10:08:01AM -0400, indy at THE-TECH.MIT.EDU wrote:
> > I've never been game enough to try the linux XFS port...
>
> I haven't had the guts to try it on a production system I must admit.
> Playing with it I've had no problems, but others report quite a few.
> The IRIX version of XFS was the best (non-distributed) fs I ever used,
> solid, decent for small files and amazing with large ones.

I've had good and bad experiences with XFS. The bad experiences came
from using XFS on LVM about a year ago - the combination caused
random segfaults in programs. But plain XFS has been pretty solid.
I've used it in a number of places without any problems. For scale,
UWA's student server has a 150GB XFS partition which gets thrashed a
fair bit. It handles large files & lots of small files, fast.

I'd say it's no more or less reliable than reiser or ext[23], but
thats what backups are for :)

2c,

Bernard.

--