[plug] What does public opion feel about Riser FS?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu May 22 07:47:54 WST 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 10:26:19PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:

| I'd say it's no more or less reliable than reiser or ext[23], but
| thats what backups are for :)

I'd say it's fine if you are on a UPS, but if the machine goes down
moderately regularly (either in an "oh dear, that was the wrong power
cord" sense, or a "bloody hell, when will Nvidia learn to write drivers"
sense) then XFS is a good way to lose random files.  Apparently it's
better than it used to be, but when I was using it, it seemed to clobber
a couple of files every time it had to recover the journal.  I've never
seen this happen on Ext2/3, and haven't used Reiser FS enough to comment.

Cameron.