[plug] [OT] Help needed : [Fwd: Mail System Error - Returned Mail]

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Thu May 22 09:54:17 WST 2003

On 22 May 2003 09:26:53 +0800
Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 07:51, Richard Meyer wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I'm hoping someone can help me with a minor problem I'm having with my
> > Westnet account. I'm getting messages such as the following turning up at
> > my mailbox at Westnet. The email address is correct (mine, that is), but
> > I've never sent any of this crap out in my life. I have not yet sent out
> > spam, and the message body looks like it is spam.
>
> More likely a friend of yours runs a PC with Outlook which has your name
> in its address book. It's sending messages that look like they come from
> you to another person in their address book. That may then in turn
> bounce and send the bounce to where it (looks like it) was sent from -
> you.

Someone at my work received over 400 bounces in 3 days and various
automated virus warnings thanks to some anonymous fizzer infection in
Japan by the looks of it.

The majority of them were mail quota errors, thus the original email
including infected attachment was returned to this user.  All up it was around
90MB of mail returned.

They stopped rolling in yesterday (about 5 days later i guess) ... thankfully.

Nothing to say it will not happen again though .. over 90 accounts here, that's
a lot of potential targets in address books around the world.

Ryan