[plug] getting exim to use ldap to verify address validity

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu May 22 10:07:54 WST 2003

Hi all

I'm currently trying to configure exim to deliver mail using cyrdeliver
for cyrus IMAP. User addresses are in LDAP under

cn=username,dc=postnewspapers,dc=com,dc=au
   mail = <$email_addr>

I'm having trouble making exim accept addresses as valid for delivery.
Currently I smarthost w/o verification to another mailserver but it'll
be retired shortly and we need to get exim running.

I haven't had any luck with google yet, nor with the exim docs. The info
is in the docs somewhere, but I don't seem to be able to put it together
into a working config. If anybody on plug knows how to do this, I'd be
delighted to hear of it.

My transport def'n is:

local_delivery_cyrus:
   driver = pipe
   headers_remove = return-receipt-to:acknowledge-to
   command = /usr/sbin/cyrdeliver \
         -m ${substr_1:$local_part_suffix} -- $local_part
   user = cyrus
   group = mail
   return_output
   log_output
   prefix =
   suffix =

and my director is:

local_user_cyrus:
   driver = localuser
   transport = local_delivery_cyrus
   local_parts = nospam.cr

local_parts is on the director because at this point I only want to be
having one acct handled by the cyrus director, the others should all
flow on to the existing fallback:

smart:
   driver = smartuser
   new_address = ${local_part}@postnewspapers.com.au

Currently the test server is running on a high port.

So... anybody know how to tell exim to query an ldap service to verify
that an addr is deliverable? I assume its done in the director, but how
has escaped me so far.

Craig Ringer