[plug] Strange kernel messages, is any able to help please?

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Thu May 22 11:42:49 WST 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 11:25:40AM +0800, Chris Griffin wrote:
> Well at least they are strange to me. I am getting thousands (I kid you
> not) of the following messages in /var/log/messages
> Can anyone enlighten me as to what they all mean please?
> The box is a Mandrake MNF 8.2 system I am trying to set up. For some reason
> it is also ignoring my custom rules?
>
> May 20 23:12:12 dev1 kernel: martian source 151.130.47.255 from
> 151.130.40.18, on dev eth0

There's a brief explanation of this in the kernel source, in
Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt.  It suggests that your routing isn't
right:

==================
log_martians
------------

Log packets with source addresses with no known route to kernel log.

The message said that it came from the kernel, so:

  cd /usr/src/linux
  find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep martian

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
signal(i, SIG_DFL); /* crunch, crunch, crunch */
             -- Larry Wall in doarg.c from the perl source code