[plug] [OT] Managed switch - Question

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri May 23 15:11:37 WST 2003

> I understand that, in general terms, switches route data to the intended
> source's port on the switch, whereas a hub broadcasts it to all ports on the
> hub, but I am not completely sure what "managed" means and the difference
> between and unmanaged switch and a hub.

Ignore hubs - if you understand the difference between a hub and switch,
that's all you need to know there. Both managed and unmanaged switches
have the same significant difference from a hub (packet switching not
dumb broadcasting).

A managed switch is a switch that you can manually manage. You can do
things (depending on the switch) like tell it that a given MAC address
is on a given port, even if it doesn't think it is. You can create
things like vLANs. You can sometimes control /how/ it switches
(store-and-forward or another method). You can also often tell them not
to "learn" what MAC addrs are behind what ports at all, and take
complete manual control of that function. They often also provide things
like the ability to "mirror" all traffic out a single port (handy if
your switch has gigabit ports).

On the other hand, an unmanaged switch "learns" the network layout and
makes switching decisions by itsself. Most managed switches can function
happily as unmanaged switches until you need to take partial or total
manual control.

I've got a NetGear FSM726S managed switch here and its a perfect example
of a managed switch that you don't /have/ to manually manage unless you
need to.

Craig Ringer