[plug] re: RHL Professional

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed May 28 18:32:36 WST 2003

On 28 May 2003, Simon Scott wrote:

> > Why an issue? IBM have certified SuSE 8.0 which is no longer
> > available... but 8.2 works just fine.
>
> Because 8.2 isnt 8.0.
>
> You need to change your mentality when working for mega-corps - throw all
> logic out of the window and realise that *every* move is done in such a way as
> to protect someone's job.
>
> 8.0 is certified - 8.2 is not. We *all* know that 8.2 more than likely works
> better than 8.0, but this isnt the point.
>
> <CYNIC>
> If someone was to install 8.2 when it is not certified, and something were to
> go wrong, someone might lose their job/bonus.... and we cant have that. :-\
> </CYNIC>

But, will the later version REALLY work with the hardware, and with any
utilitites/applications running on that configuration?

Good example; our server - happily runs RH 6.2. RH 9? No way.

Oh, and, stuff that runs on the OS may not work with the later version.

Our firewall, which uses ipchains, runs happily on RH 6.2, but not on RH
7.3.

Apart from utilities, there have been applications that also have
problems running on later versions of OS's; eg, from memory, GRAMPS had
problems running earlier versions (than the latest version)on RH 9. PINE
(from memory) had problems running on RH 9.

Later version, does not necessarily mean that it fits with what runs
with earlier version.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale