[plug] NFS

Andrew Pamment pamment at iinet.net.au
Fri May 30 22:18:18 WST 2003

Hi..

I have set up an NFS server so I can share some of my abundance of hard
drive space with my flatmate. What I want is kind of like a directory
where we can both just put stuff and delete stuff without worrying too
much about permissions and so on. I set it up to squash everybody into
nobody which is good and it sort of works except for permissions.. all
the files i put in there don't get squashed because i'm not using it via
NFS, when my flatmate looks at them they say they belong to him (i am
assuming because on his machine the UID and GID are the same as my UID
and GID on my machine) and the files he puts on there are squashed and
are nobody on my machine but 634973409 or something on his machine (I
can't remember but it started with a 6.. i am guessing again because the
nobody user has different uids and gids on each of our machines) what is
the solution to this? I would like for the sake of neatness to have
files he puts on there to have rhys owner and files i put on there to
have andrew user, but failing that so long as we can both read and write
to the thing (at the moment rhys can write in the root directory of the
share but not in subfolders weather or not he creates them) i have been
trying to figure things out.. i get the impression i need to set up a
NIS server or something.. seems a bit of overkill for two people though?
is there a simple way of doing things?

andrew

--
Andrew Pamment
(http: http://members.iinet.net.au/~pamment/) (ICQ: 136239083)

"Abashed the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue
in her shape how lovely; saw, and pined His loss." John Milton.