[plug] NFS

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri May 30 22:29:08 WST 2003

 > i get the impression i need to set up a
> NIS server or something.. seems a bit of overkill for two people though?
> is there a simple way of doing things?

First, fix your non-sytem uids and gids so they're they're consistent
over both machines. Personally I use LDAP to handle this automatically
(its like NIS, but less ugly) but you don't need to ; just make the
effort to keep track. You can edit /etc/passwd and /etc/group to change
the IDs (CAREFULLY, use "vipw" and back up the files first). You'll need
to "chown -R username.groupname /home/directory" for each altered user
afterwards to get everything to behave.

Once you have sensibly in-sync uids and gids across the systems, I seem
to remember you can chmod g+s the directory to cause all files in it to
be written with the gid of the group that owns the directory. If your
umask gives write permissions to group members by default, problem solved.

I think. I've never needed this setup.

Craig