[plug] NFS

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat May 31 18:08:37 WST 2003

  > You really should use the kernel nfs server instead. It's significantly
> better than the user space one.
>
>>From the package description of nfs-user-server
>
> " Unlike other NFS daemons, this NFS server runs entirely in user
> space.  This makes it a tad slower than other NFS implementations, and
> also introduces some awkwardnesses in the semantics (for instance,
> moving a file to a different directory will render its file handle
> invalid).
>  .
>  There is currently no support for file locking."

I've actually found the userspace server utterly trouble free, and had
some significant problems with the kernel one. On the other hand, I've
only ever used the userspace server for read-only tasks (serving LTSP
machines' root filesystems) and for that speed isn't actually a real
issue. Once X is running, the LTSP boxes have basically everything
they'll need loaded in RAM, and rarely need to access their remote root FS.

If things go wrong with the nfs userspace server, its much easier to fix.

That said, I've always used the kernel server on those rare occasions
when I use nfs for read/write access (temporatily, on my home LAN, and
only with specific IP restrictions - for when scp is just too slow).

Craig Ringer