Re [plug] - Off Topic - Advice re computer purchase

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Mon Nov 3 17:36:49 WST 2003

I don't know the phone numbers, but it sounds like you would be getting dodgy
windows and office (atleast with the second one the M$ oem licences for XP
Pro and Office pro are over $600 - for both)

pricing like that is definately doable without an os but I'd still worry about
the warranty with these people if they are doing dodgy M$ software as if they
get caught they will be out of business. (not to mention they possibly aren't
as good as they should be anyway)

just looking at retail pricing (mostly from Netplus - no affiliation, and no
extensive research into it - basically I had their site open at the time):

PIV 2.6 HT		$289
512mb PC3200	$130
128mb ddr vga	$  89 (radeon 9200se)
6ch sound		$    0 (onboard)
seagate 80gb	$115
liteon	cdrw		$  55
pioneer dvd	$  59
350w case		$  50 (inc floppy)
56k modem		$  19 (int. pci)
network		$    0 (onboard)
kb mouse spks	$  50 (inc optical mouse)
mainboard		$ 109(Asus P4PE-X)
LG monitor 17in	$ 179

Now consider he's likely getting it cheaper wholesale and possibly using even
cheaper parts, thats making around $150+ for the bottom one (PIV 2.4 800fsb
replaced by 2.6 for same price last week

Cheers
Quintin