[plug] FW: [Mono-list] Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire SUSE Linux (fwd)

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 5 15:25:58 WST 2003

In message <20031105071452.GD2637 at erdos.home>
on Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:14:52PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Why o why do people keep seeing GNOME and KDE as adversaries?

Because most users can only view a single desktop at any one time? And
because people probably grimace at having both installed at the same
time? (i.e., as if one humongous desktop isn't enough, they know they
can have two of them for only twice the price.) Therefore,...software
gets written for one or the other and users end up using one or the
other. (Personally, I didn't like KDE the last time I saw someone using
it, because it reminded me of Bad Things.) For the end-user's side of
things, www.freedesktop.org (years old) is perhaps one way in which the
two desktop environments indirectly 'cooperate'. But, from the
programmer's point of view, people like to use high-level toolkits for
interacting with X (such as GTK and Qt) and you can't produce software
for all of them using one set of code and resource files.