[plug] FW: [Mono-list] Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire SUSE Linux (fwd)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Nov 5 17:13:37 WST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:25:58PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:

| And because people probably grimace at having both installed at the
| same time? (i.e., as if one humongous desktop isn't enough, they know
| they can have two of them for only twice the price.)

On hardware powerful enough to run either at a reasonable pace, the
chances are that the disc space involved wouldn't be that bad.  (On the
machine I'm typing this on, the / partition has 4G used; I'd be
surprised if even all of X+KDE+GNOME+Openoffice put together came to 10%
of the total.  Although 4G used is rather more than I expected anyway.)

The memory cost of having KDE apps and GNOME apps open at once might be
grimace-worthy.

| Therefore,...software gets written for one or the other and users end
| up using one or the other.

Of course - because it isn't possible to (conveniently) write software
that compiles with both GTK and Qt.  (Although perhaps systems like
wxWindows may allow it?)  Likewise it'd be silly to have two window
managers, two taskbar-panelly things, two file managers etc running at
once.

Desktop-agnostic software often ends up like Mozilla or Openoffice -
utterly non-standard and reinventing the polygonal wheel (which is,
after all, a good approximation of "round" when you've got enough sides
:-P).

Cameron.