[plug] FW: [Mono-list] Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire SUSE Linux (fwd)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Nov 5 17:03:51 WST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 04:22:12PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

| They have been co-operating more and more lately. As James mentioned,
| it's often via freedesktop.org, but meetings of lead GNOME and KDE folk
| to hash out interoperability issues are not unknown. Things like window
| manager hints, systray, advanced IPC, MIME handling, etc are
| standardising increasingly quickly. They'll never be the same, but they
| will plug into each other very well.

That's true.  Things like being able to use KParts in GNOME apps and the
GNOME equivalent (bonobo?) in KDE would be nifty.  So would standardised
file associations (is that what you meant by MIME handling?) and perhaps
even finding some way of having GTK apps not stick out like a sore thumb
under KDE and vice versa.

| Anyway, re the whole GNOME/KDE thing my personal opinion is "who cares -
| whatever works."

Yes.  They've both come a long way very quickly and I don't think anyone
would suffer too much if forced to use someone else's desktop of choice.

Cameron.