[plug] FW: [Mono-list] Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire SUSE Linux (fwd)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Nov 5 16:22:12 WST 2003

> Why o why do people keep seeing GNOME and KDE as adversaries?  A bit of
> cooperation (and less zealotry) between the two camps would go a long
> way...

They have been co-operating more and more lately. As James mentioned,
it's often via freedesktop.org, but meetings of lead GNOME and KDE folk
to hash out interoperability issues are not unknown. Things like window
manager hints, systray, advanced IPC, MIME handling, etc are
standardising increasingly quickly. They'll never be the same, but they
will plug into each other very well.

IMHO they're not doing too badly, though if they'd only started a year
or two earlier it'd be much better now.

Anyway, re the whole GNOME/KDE thing my personal opinion is "who cares -
whatever works." I don't use either of them anyway -
http://www.xfce.org/ for me.

Craig Ringer