[plug] Re: spam

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Nov 6 08:13:56 WST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 07:10:10AM +0800, Craig Foster wrote:

| I'd run mail through my linux server, but I don't trust the iiNet ADSL
| connection, and I am loathe the change my various e-mail addresses.

If you use fetchmail to download the mail off your POP server then the
unreliability of your ADSL shouldn't affect things any more that it does
now.  Then you can do server-side filtering using Spamassassin which is,
in my experience, bloody good at catching spam.

(I've tweaked by SA config a bit by increasing the weighting of the
Bayesian learning filter.  I also have the threshold set to a high value
- 7.0 - and filter anything with a score between 4 and 7 into a "maybe
spam" folder which gets maybe a message or two a day.  So far the
"maybe spam" has been exclusively spam but it's better that way than
losing legit mail.)

| /me grabs protective gear...

Yeah, you need to wear that stuff when you're using Outlook or you might
catch something. ;-)

Cameron.