[plug] SAMBA & NFS

Ady Gould KiltOtter at bdu.org
Fri Nov 7 11:38:22 WST 2003

Hi guys

I understand the basics of SAMBA (using version 2) and have already been
using this as a teaching item at my workplace.

We have SAMBA shares being visible to both users and machines, and have
successfully created shares with the machines (at which a student is sat)
having access only, as well as student (user) shares, and other forms of
share.

The next bit is NFS and how that integrates...

I'm trying to understand the basics of NFS and how it relates, if at all, to
SAMBA - well more like what on earth what NFS and how can I integrate it
into a Windows 2000 / Windows 9x / Windows XP mixed environment.

I'm trying to set up a form of Network Attached Storage system that we can
expand easily without too many problems when more storage is required.

Cheers Ady

Ady "KiltOtter" Gould
Web Designer & Administrator, Educator, Otter and Kilt Wearer

Cookie Monster: Take off your shirt. What? Stop the car. Listen to me,
Copper-top. We don't have time for twenty questions. Right now there's only
one rule, our way or the highway. - Switch and Neo, The Matrix
Cookies are generated automatically and do not necessarily reflect the
opinion of the sender.