[plug] Help! My browser is spewing all over my screen.

John Clayton mageaere at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 8 01:13:24 WST 2003

Every now and again my browser

(Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20030726)

on my Red Hat 9.0 system
running under Gnome

(though I have seen it happen with other versions of mozilla and other
window managers and on other redhat versions)

will come accross some content that causes it to create a lumpy pattern on
the screen.

This pattern looks a little like the pattern that is seen when X just starts
up but is a different colour and is not as fine. This patern covers a large
part of the browser and can cover other parts of the screen. It also
subsequently turns up in any other browser windows open at the time.

It can be made to go away by repainting the screen ie moving the mouse over
a part of the screen that visually responds to mouse over events, switching
screen or switching to a console and then back to the X session.

Although not a serious problem it can be annoying. If anyone has seen this
before or knows what it is and maybe know how to get rid of it please
respond.