[plug] File Dependancies

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Nov 9 01:58:27 WST 2003

William Kenworthy wrote:
> These days laptop support is quite good

I can't really agree there. Many new laptops can't even be suspended
using current Linux kernels, as they don't support APM and Linux 2.4
doesn't support ACPI sleep states. Modems are non-working much of time
time, and usually take some stuffing about to get working even when they
can be made to work. Yes, that one /is/ the manufacturer's fault, but it
still works out as painful for the user. Graphics chipset support can be
really bad (though it's often excellent), especially for models with
1400x native resolutions (again, a manufacturer issue, but true
nonetheless).

Then again, there are laptops like my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600. The
only issue is the non-working modem, and I think I've found some drivers
for that now but as I don't really need it I haven't bothered trying
them. Everything else is perfect - APM suspend, video, ethernet,
802.11b, sound, etc.

Still... do be prepared for problems with laptops. At least the power
mgmt issues should be helped by the improved ACPI in 2.6.

Craig Ringer