[plug] Interface not being brought up on bootup

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Nov 10 10:08:07 WST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:54:43AM +0800, Michael Hunt wrote:

| If I do a /etc/init.d/networking restart then :
|
| Reconfiguring network interfaces... ifconfig: cannot resolv 'down': Host
| name lookup failure
| SIOCDELRT: No such process
| ifconfig: only one address alowed for interface 'lo'
| Usage: ifconfig [OPTION]... [SYSTEM OPTION]...
| Try ifconfig --help for more information.
| failed to connect to localhost:bootpc: Network is unreachable
| Done.

Eeek.  That looks bizarre.  Anything odd in /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/hosts?

Perhaps an 'apt-get --reinstall install ifupdown net-tools netbase'
would help a bit?

Or ... if you're running sid, which versions of those three packages are you
running?  Perhaps there's something broken in one of them?  (Although
the Debian BTS implies that's not the case and the fact that it happened
after a crash suggests otherwise too.)

| On fscking what are the tools one uses with a REISERFS based system ???

reiserfsck?

Cameron.