[plug] Interface not being brought up on bootup

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Nov 10 11:13:33 WST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:38:06AM +0800, Michael Hunt wrote:

| I know it looks bizarre but at the heart of it it appears to be
| configuring the device twice or picking up config info from two seperate
| places. Its not coming from /etc/network/interfaces so my issue seems to
| be where is it coming from ???

I don't know.  What do ifdown -av and ifup -av tell you?  It should at
least print out what commands it's executing that give the error.

On my (working) sid machine:

# ifdown -av
Configuring interface lo=lo (inet)
run-parts /etc/network/if-down.d
ifconfig lo down
run-parts /etc/network/if-post-down.d
Configuring interface eth0=eth0 (inet)
run-parts /etc/network/if-down.d
dhcpcd -k eth0
****  /sbin/dhcpcd-bin: not running

# ifup -av
Configuring interface lo=lo (inet)
run-parts /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
run-parts /etc/network/if-up.d
Configuring interface eth0=eth0 (inet)
run-parts /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
dhcpcd                eth0
run-parts /etc/network/if-up.d

| ifupdown 0.6.4-4.6
| net-tools 1.60-8
| netbase 4.14

Those are the same versions as I'm running, so nothing odd there.

Cheers,

Cameron.