[plug] Interface not being brought up on bootup

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Mon Nov 10 10:38:06 WST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 10:08, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:54:43AM +0800, Michael Hunt wrote:
>
> | If I do a /etc/init.d/networking restart then :
> |
> | Reconfiguring network interfaces... ifconfig: cannot resolv 'down': Host
> | name lookup failure
> | SIOCDELRT: No such process
> | ifconfig: only one address alowed for interface 'lo'
> | Usage: ifconfig [OPTION]... [SYSTEM OPTION]...
> | Try ifconfig --help for more information.
> | failed to connect to localhost:bootpc: Network is unreachable
> | Done.
>
> Eeek.  That looks bizarre.  Anything odd in /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/hosts?

I know it looks bizarre but at the heart of it it appears to be
configuring the device twice or picking up config info from two seperate
places. Its not coming from /etc/network/interfaces so my issue seems to
be where is it coming from ???

/etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts look normal and appear to be unchanged
recently.

> Perhaps an 'apt-get --reinstall install ifupdown net-tools netbase'
> would help a bit?

done.

ifupdown 0.6.4-4.6
net-tools 1.60-8
netbase 4.14

> Or ... if you're running sid, which versions of those three packages are you
> running?  Perhaps there's something broken in one of them?  (Although
> the Debian BTS implies that's not the case and the fact that it happened
> after a crash suggests otherwise too.)

I usually do an update daily on this box so being out of date would be
unlikely (these packages don't seem to change much and breaking
networking like this is bad even for sid).

A quick look at those packages seems to suggest that they are the latest
ones.

> | On fscking what are the tools one uses with a REISERFS based system ???
>
> reiserfsck?

duh !!! ,slaps forehead.

> Cameron.

Michael Hunt