[plug] Interface not being brought up on bootup

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Nov 10 12:20:23 WST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:01:47PM +0800, Michael Hunt wrote:

| The only difference for me is that I'm using pump instead of dhcpcd and
| the 'ifconfig lo down' fails with the 'ifconfig: cannot resolve 'down' :
| Host name lookup failure' error.

Does ifconfig lo down work on its own?  If not, does 'strace ifconfig lo
down' say much?  Does the "ip" tool work to configure interfaces?

| Again everything is exactly the same except ifconfig returns an error
| after the 'ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up' line with the 'ifconfig: only one
| address allowed for interface 'lo'' error.

Hmm.  So eth0 is being configured okay then?

| Its got me stumped. I'm thinking of doing a rebuild but it is not a very
| good time for me at the moment being in the middle of exams.

Eek.  Not good at all.  I wouldn't resort to a rebuild just yet though.
I've got to rush off to Murdoch soon but some things to look into:
conffiles for various networking packages, and also libc6.  Maybe
reinstalling libc6 even?

Cameron.