[plug] Interface not being brought up on bootup

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Mon Nov 10 12:50:53 WST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 12:20, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:01:47PM +0800, Michael Hunt wrote:
>
> | The only difference for me is that I'm using pump instead of dhcpcd and
> | the 'ifconfig lo down' fails with the 'ifconfig: cannot resolve 'down' :
> | Host name lookup failure' error.
>
> Does ifconfig lo down work on its own?  If not, does 'strace ifconfig lo
> down' say much?  Does the "ip" tool work to configure interfaces?
>
> | Again everything is exactly the same except ifconfig returns an error
> | after the 'ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up' line with the 'ifconfig: only one
> | address allowed for interface 'lo'' error.
>
> Hmm.  So eth0 is being configured okay then?

No it comes back with a 'failed to connect to localhost:bootpc: Network
is unreachable

> | Its got me stumped. I'm thinking of doing a rebuild but it is not a very
> | good time for me at the moment being in the middle of exams.
>
> Eek.  Not good at all.  I wouldn't resort to a rebuild just yet though.
> I've got to rush off to Murdoch soon but some things to look into:
> conffiles for various networking packages, and also libc6.  Maybe
> reinstalling libc6 even?

This is the one thing I hate about IT work is that sometimes the
shortest path to fixing the problem is the one that is least helpful
diagnosing what the problem was. Rebuilding for me is just a quick (well
not so quick) and dirty way to getting the thing working again.

Still I'm learning a lot about the 'debain way" of networking. I started
looking for /etc/sysconfig/* at first *grin*.

> Cameron.

Really appreciating everyone's help.

Michael Hunt