[plug] How does my IP address get to china?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 10 12:25:40 WST 2003

In message <20031110041743.2E66B5FD70 at bettong.westnet.com.au>
on Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:15:55PM +0800, Steve Boak wrote:
> My question is this: the possibility of coincidence is quite small
> considereing the timing and the fact that I have had no other probes in the
> last 12 hours, so just how did these two people (computers?) get my ip
> address and immediately probe my machine?

Use of identd implies you accessed a service provided by IT (e.g.  FTP
mirror). Do you have ftp.wa.au.debian.org in your APT sources.list by any
chance? I would guess that you used IT's FTP mirror during your apt-get.

> Am I way off the track here, and if so, what is the real explanation?
[...]
> P.S. In the last hour while I have been thinking about this, I am now getting
> hits about every 3 or 4 minutes.

I would have expected that Beijing probe was part of the general
'Internet noise'. You would have been but one of thousands who
were also probed. Not sure why you got so few probes up until
the 'surge' in the last hour.