[plug] How does my IP address get to china?

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Mon Nov 10 12:59:30 WST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:25, you wrote:
> In message <20031110041743.2E66B5FD70 at bettong.westnet.com.au>
>
> Use of identd implies you accessed a service provided by IT (e.g.  FTP
> mirror). Do you have ftp.wa.au.debian.org in your APT sources.list by any
> chance? I would guess that you used IT's FTP mirror during your apt-get.

Fair enough - I didn't know IT hosted the mirror. Is the ident request part
of some sort of verification (I'm gessing at updating log files)? Obviously
it didn't make any difference that I blocked the request.

> I would have expected that Beijing probe was part of the general
> 'Internet noise'. You would have been but one of thousands who
> were also probed. Not sure why you got so few probes up until
> the 'surge' in the last hour.

Sounds like my surge is small bikkies to those of you on permanent ip's
though :)

Another one for the mystery box - it's quite full these days :)

Steve