[plug] Interface not being brought up on bootup

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Nov 10 14:18:44 WST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 02:05:22PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
| The output of from 'strace ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up' and/or 'strace
| ifconfig lo down' could be helpful in seeing what ifconfig is trying to
| do, by the way.

Also, take a look at http://bugs.debian.org/219904 -

}	I don't know when this problem started because I haven't changed
}	my network state on this machine in a few weeks.
}
}	When I recently rebooted, there was a problem initializing he
}	network on startup. It looks like either the ifup/ifdown
}	programs are passing bad arguments to ifconfig or ifconfig has
}	changed its input format.  The errors ifconfig is giving are
}	that "up" or "down" is a bad host.  I have tried installing
}	older versions of the packages ifupdown and net-tools and then
}	reinstalling the latest versions, but the problem still exists.

Sound familiar?

Cameron.