[plug] Interface not being brought up on bootup

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Nov 10 14:05:22 WST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:50:53PM +0800, Michael Hunt wrote:

| > | Again everything is exactly the same except ifconfig returns an error
| > | after the 'ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up' line with the 'ifconfig: only one
| > | address allowed for interface 'lo'' error.
| >
| > Hmm.  So eth0 is being configured okay then?
|
| No it comes back with a 'failed to connect to localhost:bootpc: Network
| is unreachable

Sounds like it /would/ work if loopback was working then :-)  This is a
good start...

The output of from 'strace ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up' and/or 'strace
ifconfig lo down' could be helpful in seeing what ifconfig is trying to
do, by the way.  For comparison:

	http://cp.yi.org/cameron/ifconfig_lo_down.txt
	http://cp.yi.org/cameron/ifconfig_lo_up.txt

And try what Bernard suggested with "ip".  (apt-get install iproute if
it isn't installed.)

| This is the one thing I hate about IT work is that sometimes the
| shortest path to fixing the problem is the one that is least helpful
| diagnosing what the problem was. Rebuilding for me is just a quick (well
| not so quick) and dirty way to getting the thing working again.

Yeah, fair enough.  I still reckon that you're close to finding the
problem.  Rebuilding could take the better part of a day, your system
wouldn't be quite the same as it was, and you'd still not know what your
original proglem was caused by.

| Really appreciating everyone's help.

Yer welcome (-:

Cameron.