[plug] And the magical command was ... [formally] Interface not being brought up on bootup

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Mon Nov 10 15:01:19 WST 2003

apt-get remove inetutils-tools

Thanks to all who contributed with the diagnoses of this problem. In the
end it appears that ifconfig was being supplied by inetutils-tools which
had been installed on my machine by possibly an incorrect package
dependency or user error (I'll freely admit that it could hjave been my
own fault).

Bernard's advice to use 'ip' instead of 'ifconfig' got my network back
up and working and James and Cameron were on the right path to finding a
solution with Cameron finding the answer through Debian's Bug Tracking
Systme.

And finally thanks goes to AJ Towns who spoke with such authority as to
the cause of a similar problem in DTS that I knew that just had to be
the cause for me. (If only we could get him to speak with the same
authority on a release date for sarge).

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Michael Hunt