[plug] UML Tun/Tap - Tun Device

Kirk Turner kirk.turner at wagoonline.com
Mon Nov 10 16:13:07 WST 2003

I've been playing around trying to get user-mode-linux to work on my
machine, and after a bit of fun with everything I have it successfully
running a sid and woody filesystem.

However next I wanted to try and get the networking stuff going, and
following Trent's advice from his talk on UML I was trying out the
TUN/TAP scenario. However this is where I hit a snag:

When I try and run tunctl I get the following message:

gameldar:~# tunctl -u kirk
opening tun device: No such device

Doing an strace, and subsequently getting the source and checking it is
trying to open /dev/net/tun and failing as follows:

  if((tap_fd = open(file, O_RDWR)) < 0){
    perror("opening tun device");
    exit(1);
  }

Initially I was getting the error:
opening tun device: No such directory or filename

So doing a google I found that I needed to have the tun device node
created, so I did the following:

mknod /dev/net/tun c 200 10

Hence I got the above error.

Now to my question(s):
Is this how you create a device? Is it a separate issue with tunctl?

Possible relevant information:

Running debian woody, 2.4.18-bf2.4
Tun is a module I've loaded.
Using the debian distribution of uml code - however I have tried the
above using the latest version of the uml-utilities downloaded and
compiled.

Thanks,

Kirk