[plug] Interface not being brought up on bootup

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 10 17:25:31 WST 2003

In message <20031110091549.GG3569 at erdos.home>
on Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 05:15:49PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> A lot of the stuff in alternatives are vague like "x-window-manager" and
> so on.  ifconfig interacts only through the command line, and two
> ifconfigs with completely different command-line syntax, one of which
> has been around since forever, is just asking for trouble.

I beg to differ! My thinking was that (a) netkit and inetutils-tools
should use the alternatives system for the provision of 'ifconfig'; (b)
inetutils-tools should not pretend to provide netkit; (c) ifupdown
should depend on netkit and use the full path to its ifconfig (i.e. if
they're using the alternatives system then each package should have an
indisputable name for its own version of ifconfig, and ifupdown should
make use of that).